[Python-Dev] Questions regarding Windows buildbots

David Bolen db3l.net at gmail.com
Wed May 14 23:36:30 CEST 2014

Brian Curtin <brian at python.org> writes:

> On Mon, May 12, 2014 at 5:16 PM, Claudiu Popa <pcmanticore at gmail.com> wrote:
(...)
>> - If we can acquire the privilege by elevating our process, does the
>> Windows buildbots have UAC
>>  enabled and if so, how's the notification setting configured? For
>> instance, elevating a process will
>>  trigger a new UAC window with the message "Do you want to allow the
>> following program from an unknown publisher to make  changes to this
>> computer?" on the recommended configuration, but this doesn't happen
>> when the configuration is set to  "Never notify".
>
> That probably depends on how each machine is setup. If they happen to
> get blocked on any individual slave, we'll just have to ask the owner
> to change that setting.

For reference, my Windows 7 slave (bolen-windows7) is currently
running with stock UAC settings, so I believe would prompt in such a
scenario.  The slave does run all builds with Windows error dialogs
disabled, but I doubt that covers UAC.

It's certainly no problem to disable the UAC prompting if it would
help or if that becomes a more useful setting for the buildbot
environment.  It probably fits better with my existing model of
disabling other sorts of error popups anyway, but just isn't something
we've run up against yet in the build process.

> Currently there are no Windows build slaves running as administrator.
> I used to have one but the machine died and I never replaced it. I
> also said a few months ago that I would get one setup again, but that
> hasn't happened yet. I can get a new machine up and running but
> probably not until next week as I'm at a conference.

Yes - my slaves (XP and Win7) are running under administrative
accounts, but not the literal Administrator account.  Though I'm
guessing this topic may be moot for the XP slave as it doesn't have
UAC.

Claudiu, if you've got any specific test code you'd like to have
executed on either of my slaves to see how it behaves, I'd be happy to
help.  Just contact me directly.

-- David