[Python-Dev] Download Counts (was: Language Summit notes)

Brian Curtin brian at python.org
Wed May 28 23:02:58 CEST 2014

On May 28, 2014 4:06 PM, "Eli Bendersky" <eliben at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, May 28, 2014 at 11:10 AM, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org>
wrote:

>> Is the Windows/Mac ratio still 70/30, with Linux in the single digits?
>>

> Most Linux installs go through package managers which don't count here,
no?

I'll have to run something for the other non-Windows files, but the single
digit Linux downloads he meant are the tarballs. We'll (probably) never
know the true counts in the Linux world because of how pervasive Python is
within basically every distro, but that's also likely the case on Mac.

With Windows, since you must download Python it to use it, the numbers we
see are probably the most useful on their own. I'm giving a talk at PyCon
Russia that covers some of these numbers, so I'll probably try to dig up
more and turn it into a blog post.