[Python-Dev] Problem displaying the warning symbol

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Sun Nov 16 20:23:01 CET 2014

On 11/16/2014 11:49 AM, R. David Murray wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Nov 2014 11:23:41 +0100, Stefano Borini <stefano.borini at ferrara.linux.it> wrote:
>> I report a finding (bug?) about the warning unicode symbol, as reported here
>>
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/26919799/cannot-make-warning-sign-visible-on-osx-terminal

Stefano, the right place to send an enquiry about a bug is python-list,
not py-dev.

> Bugs should be reported to bugs.python.org.

But only if one is fairly sure there is a bug.  The tracker is not for
'is this a bug' questions.

> I'm doubtful this is a Python problem though.  More likely it is an
> issue with the curses library on OSX.

Warning signs display fine in Idle's tkinter Text widget with Lucida
Console font, and python utf-8 encodes and decodes the char.

 >>> s='\u26a0'
 >>> s
'⚠'  # up-pointing triangle /_\ with ! inside
 >>> b=s.encode('utf-8')
 >>> b
b'\xe2\x9a\xa0'
 >>> b.decode('utf-8')
'⚠'

Presuming that the bytes are correct, there is no bug here.

--
Terry Jan Reedy