[Python-Dev] understanding ubuntu's patches to cpython

Buck Evan buck.2019 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 16 23:23:21 CET 2014

This particular patch caused virtualenv issue #118 and a subsequent
workaround:
http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-branches/ubuntu/trusty/python2.7/trusty/view/head:/debian/patches/distutils-install-layout.diff#L281
<http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-branches/ubuntu/trusty/python2.7/trusty-proposed/view/head:/debian/patches/distutils-install-layout.diff#L281>

Although this patch sits on the trusty branch of cpython patckaging, in
point of fact on that line i have `return
os.path.join(get_config_var('LIBPL'), "Makefile")`. I see that other
patches in the same project also touch this line, but none of them have
this LIBPL code that I find in my actual installation.

Can any of you all help me understand what's going on here? I'm trying to
pinpoint exactly when/how the problematic code (.replace("/usr/local","/usr")
went away.

I'm hoping "doko" is on this mailing list. Of course feel free to advise if
there's a more appropriate forum for this discussion.