[Python-Dev] Move selected documentation repos to PSF BitBucket account?

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Fri Nov 21 15:00:10 CET 2014

On Fri Nov 21 2014 at 8:57:15 AM Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 21 November 2014 23:29, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> > On Fri Nov 21 2014 at 7:37:13 AM Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >> If that "must be self-hosted" constraint is removed, then the obvious
> >> candidate for Mercurial hosting that supports online editing + pull
> >> requests is the PSF's BitBucket account.
> >
> > There's also CodePlex and (ironically) SourceForge for open-source hg
> > hosting.
>
> Did SF end up actually integrating Hg hosting properly? They hadn't
> the last time I looked - it was still a third party addon to Allura.
>
> I'll spell this out in the PEP, but the reason I suggest BitBucket in
> particular is:
>
> - it's written in Python
> - the PSF already has an organisational account set up there
> - I have admin access, so I can bootstrap other folks as
> administrators (Christian Heimes & Brian Curtin are also admins)
> - I know the online editing works reliably, since I maintain the PyPI
> metadata PEP drafts there
> - having used both it and GitHub extensively, I'm confident the
> workflows are similar enough that anyone familiar with GitHub will be
> able to easily pick up the BitBucket UI

You're putting more thought into the response than I did in the suggestion.
=) I just know they claim to host hg repos.

> As far as ignoring PR noise goes, we can still request that folks
> squash any commits (keep in mind that the proposal is only to move
> pure documentation repos, so long complex PR chains seem unlikely).

Well, requesting that and actually getting it are two different things,
especially when I don't know of any way to rewrite a commit message after
the fact if we go back to someone and say "your commit message is bad,
please fix it".