[Python-Dev] Move selected documentation repos to PSF BitBucket account?

Benjamin Peterson benjamin at python.org
Fri Nov 21 17:03:35 CET 2014

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014, at 07:36, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> For those that aren't aware, PEP 474 is a PEP I wrote a while back
> suggesting we set up a "forge.python.org" service that provides easier
> management of Mercurial repos that don't have the complex branching
> requirements of the main CPython repo. Think repos like the PEPs repo,
> or the developer guide repo.
>
> The primary objective of the PEP is to enable an online editing + pull
> request style workflow for these pure documentation projects that only
> have a single active branch.
>
> I'd been taking "must be hosted in PSF infrastructure" as a hard
> requirement, but MAL pointed out earlier this evening that in the age
> of DVCS's, that requirement may not make sense: if you avoid tightly
> coupling your automation to a particular DVCS host's infrastructure,
> then reverting back to self-hosting (if that becomes necessary for
> some reason) is mostly just a matter of "hg push".
>
> If that "must be self-hosted" constraint is removed, then the obvious
> candidate for Mercurial hosting that supports online editing + pull
> requests is the PSF's BitBucket account.
>
> There'd still be some work in such a change to make sure we didn't
> break automated regeneration of associated site elements, but that's
> still a lot simpler than adding an entirely new piece of
> infrastructure.
>
> If folks are amenable to that variant of the idea, I'll undefer PEP
> 474 and revise it accordingly, with the developer guide and the PEP's
> repo as the initially proposed candidates for transfer.

I hate to say this, but if we're going to have "doc" repos hosted in a
different place than code, we might as bite the bullet and move them to
Git + GitHub. That would surely maximize the community size + ease of
use objective function.

Otherwise, moving the hosting will probably be more trouble
(administratively + infra) than it's worth.

I know it's hard to know, but do we have a lot of people comping at the
bit to submit PRs to the devguide repo?