[Python-Dev] Move selected documentation repos to PSF BitBucket account?

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Nov 23 07:09:35 CET 2014

On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 4:59 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> The learning curve on git is still awful - it offers no compelling
> advantages over hg, and GitHub doesn't offer any huge benefits over
> BitBucket for Sphinx based documentation (ReadTheDocs works just as
> well with either service).

The learning curve for source control as a concept is pretty steep.
Once someone's learned one DVCS, learning another is much easier, and
I don't know that it makes a lot of difference whether you learn git
and then hg, or hg and then git. I learned git first, and mastered hg
basics by keeping a Rosetta Stone chart handy; given that the document
I was reading was intended for the reverse case, I expect it's not too
hard to get the basics of git once you know hg.

Just as git offers few advantages over hg, hg offers few advantages
over git. If git and GitHub are where most people are, I would support
using them for Python. I'm one of those PEP draft authors who starts
with his own repo on GitHub and sends drafts in, and Guido had to
remind me that I can simply test my edits in the peps repo before
posting them (to make sure I haven't mucked up the markup); if the
peps repo were itself hosted on GitHub, or at least in a git repo, I
could have a workflow that directly incorporates that, instead of
being "off to the side" with periodic manual imports.

That said, it does make sense for CPython *itself* to use Mercurial,
simply because it's written in Python. I don't know how strong that
philosophical argument is with people, but I wouldn't argue against
it.

ChrisA