[Python-Dev] Move selected documentation repos to PSF BitBucket account?

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Sun Nov 23 08:14:57 CET 2014

> On Nov 23, 2014, at 2:01 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 23 November 2014 at 16:27, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
>>> On Nov 23, 2014, at 1:25 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> By contrast, proposals to switch from Mercurial to Git impose a
>>> *massive* burden on contributors that don't already know git. That
>>> significant increase in the time investment required will provide *NO*
>>> practical benefit for existing contributors (this is coming from
>>> someone that has used git and Mercurial in parallel for years - trust
>>> me, they're functionally isomorphic), and only make life marginally
>>> easier for potential new contributors (you can log in to BitBucket
>>> with your GitHub ID, and the functional isomorphism means that many
>>> folks already use tools like git-remote-hg  to use the git command
>>> line to interact with the hg.python.org Mercurial repos).
>>
>> Yea, but then you lose out on the entire ecosystem built around Github.
>>
>> Like you won’t be able to run travis tests on the docs to make sure that
>> any Pull Requests don’t silently start breaking the ability to build the
>> docs.
>
> Travis isn't the only CI system on the internet, and for pure Sphinx
> documentation cases, ReadTheDocs runs just as well off BitBucket as it
> does off GitHub.

Sure it’s not the only CI system, but as far as I know bitbucket doesn’t
have near the integration possible with CI systems. I make a PR on github
I get it tested and the merge button turns green to let me know that
the tests run. Travis is popular enough that I’ve seen bitbucket projects
hosting a mirror on github *just* for travis.

> I personally think changing version control systems would be an
> incredibly bad idea, and consider it completely out of scope for
> discussions of Mercurial repo hosting arrangements. There's a lot that
> could be done, with much lower impact, just by changing the way we
> manage the existing Mercurial repos. When we can't even work out the
> practical details of getting those implemented, suggestions of
> "git/GitHub will fix it!" sound like mere wishful thinking.
>
> Cheers,
> Nick.
>
> --

---