[Python-Dev] Move selected documentation repos to PSF BitBucket account?

Brian Curtin brian at python.org
Mon Nov 24 01:08:07 CET 2014

On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 5:57 PM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 08:55:50AM -0800, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>
>> But I strongly believe that if we want to do the right thing for the
>> long term, we should switch to GitHub.
>
> Encouraging a software, or social, monopoly is never the right thing for
> the long term.
>
> http://nedbatchelder.com/blog/201405/github_monoculture.html
>

>> I promise you that once the pain of the switch is over you will feel
>> much better about it. I am also convinced that we'll get more
>> contributions this way.
>
> I'm sure that we'll get *more* contributions, but will they be *better*
> contributions?
>
> I know that there are people who think that mailing lists are old and
> passe, and that we should shift discussion to a social media site like
> Reddit. If we did, we'd probably get twenty times as many comments, and
> the average quality would probably plummet. More is not necessarily a
> good thing.

If we need to ensure that we're getting better contributions than we
are now, then we should be interviewing committers, rejecting
newcomers (or the opposite, multiplying core-mentors by 100), and
running this like a business. I've written some crappy code that got
committed, so I should probably be fired.

Enabling our community to be active contributors is an important
thing. Give them a means to level up and we'll all be better off from
it.