[Python-Dev] Move selected documentation repos to PSF BitBucket account?

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Mon Nov 24 03:55:31 CET 2014

On Nov 23, 2014, at 04:49 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

>Moving from self-hosted Mercurial repos to externally hosted Mercurial
>repos is a low risk change. It reduces maintenance overhead and lowers
>barriers to external contribution, both without alienating existing
>contributors by forcing them to change their workflows.

If those repos are externally maintained, what kind of assurances will people
have that they are talking to the *official* repositories of the PSF owned
assets?  One of the problem IMHO of the democratization of branches that a
dvcs provides is knowing when you are interacting with the official code of
the project.  In general, more democracy is better, but that needs to be
balanced with verifiable reputation.  Having branches hosted on python.org
gives people that immediately.  Having branches hosted on other domains means
there's more uncertainty.  Even aside from the "we should support open source"
question (which I feel strongly about but acknowledge others have less
allegiance to), it must be absolutely clear that there are repositories which
we as the Python development community, bless.

Cheers,
-Barry