[Python-Dev] Move selected documentation repos to PSF BitBucket account?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 21:48:23 CET 2014

On 25 Nov 2014 06:25, "Donald Stufft" <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

>> On Nov 24, 2014, at 2:55 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> It may not have been Guido's intention, but his proposal to undercut the
entire Python based version control tooling ecosystem by deeming it
entirely unfit for our purposes has caused me to dramatically re-evaluate
my own priorities.

> I think this is a misrepresentation of what Guido said. I’m pretty sure
he just said that Github has “won” over the other sites (which if you
define winning in terms of who has the mindshare, I think is indisputable)
and that he prefers git over hg now.

That's how a monopoly play works - you invest heavily in rapid growth, aim
to lock in an ecosystem through proprietary APIs, then use that powerful
market position to deliver monopoly rents to the initial investors.

The pattern repeats because "free-as-in-beer" is an extraordinarily
effective marketing tactic.

Cheers,
Nick.

>> I consider the status quo to be only mildly annoying, which is why I'd
been willing to defer proposing improvements. If folks are seriously
contemplating proposing a move to GitHub instead, then that changes the
equation significantly.