[Python-Dev] Move selected documentation repos to PSF BitBucket account?

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Tue Nov 25 03:27:24 CET 2014

> On Nov 24, 2014, at 8:59 PM, Ethan Furman <ethan at stoneleaf.us> wrote:
>
> On 11/24/2014 08:36 AM, Donald Stufft wrote:
>> On Nov 24, 2014, at 11:28 AM, Brett Cannon wrote:
>>>
>>> This might be a little controversial, but the PSF's mission should not influence a decision of python-dev.
>
> Yet what we do can reinforce, or undermine, the PSF.
>

>>> The only reason we didn't go with Jira for our issue tracker was because of pressure to not go with a closed-source
>>> solution [...]
>
>> This is really what I’m trying to do but I’m apparently not getting my point across very well. I want us to pick the
>> best tool for the job regardless of what language it’s written in.
>
> As an open source project it behooves us to support open source solutions, even if a "better" closed-source solution exists.
>
> It is sounding to me like GitHub is not, itself, an open solution, even though they may support open source.

I’d agree if the tooling was comparable, but at the end of the day the closed source tool is better and more popular. It isn’t Python’s job to fall on the sword in the name of some greater ideology while other languages get to pick the tooling that best enables them to serve the faith that their users have put in them. “Practicality beats Purity” after all.

You might lament the fact that the closed source tool is the better option, but the right response to that is to make an OSS alternative that is more, or at least as, compelling as the closed source solution and then market that and win.

---
Donald Stufft