[Python-Dev] PEP 481 - Migrate Some Supporting Repositories to Git and Github

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sun Nov 30 12:14:14 CET 2014

> But what non-free software is required to use the community design
> processes? The GitHub client is entirely optional; I don't use it, I
> just use git itself. Using a free client to access a proprietary
> server isn't the same as using non-free software.

For that to remain true, there must be no advantage specifically to
GitHub except as a commodity repository host. So all the verbiage about
specific GitHub features in this PEP are undermined.

On the other hand, if GitHub is being recommended specifically because
of features that cannot be migrated elsewhere (such as its proprietary
pull requests), then it is not possible to argue that Git alone is
sufficient to realise these advantages.

--
 \     “DRM doesn't inconvenience [lawbreakers] — indeed, over time it |
  `\     trains law-abiding users to become [lawbreakers] out of sheer |