[Python-Dev] PEP 481 - Migrate Some Supporting Repositories to Git and Github

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Sun Nov 30 17:08:18 CET 2014

> On Nov 30, 2014, at 7:31 AM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 29 November 2014 at 23:27, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
>> In previous years there was concern about how well supported git was on Windows
>> in comparison to Mercurial. However git has grown to support Windows as a first
>> class citizen. In addition to that, for Windows users who are not well aquanted
>> with the Windows command line there are GUI options as well.
>
> I have little opinion on the PEP as a whole, but is the above
> statement true? From the git website, version 2.2.0 is current, and
> yet the downloadable Windows version is still 1.9.4. That's a fairly
> significant version lag for a "first class citizen".
>
> I like git, and it has a number of windows-specific extensions that
> are really useful (more than Mercurial, AFAIK), but I wouldn't say
> that the core product supported Windows on an equal footing to Linux.
>
> Paul

I think so yes. I may be wrong, however while 1.9.4 may be the latest
downloadable version of git for Windows, there is no downloadable
version of the Linux clients at all, they just tell you to go use
your package manager which for instance is version 1.7 on Debian. On
OS X the latest version is 2.0.1.

---
Donald Stufft