[Python-Dev] PEP 481 - Migrate Some Supporting Repositories to Git and Github

Alex Gaynor alex.gaynor at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 17:37:15 CET 2014

On Sun Nov 30 2014 at 10:28:50 AM Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:

> Why specifically? Did you have a web UI for reviewing patches previously?
> Do you have CI set up for patches now and didn't before? What features did
> you specifically gain from the switch to GitHub that you didn't have
> before? IOW was it the "magic" of GitHub or some technical solution that
> you got as part of the GitHub package and thus could theoretically be
> replicated on python.org?
>
> -Brett

Previously someone looking for a review (read: any non-committer) would
export a diff from their VCS, upload it as a patch to trac, and then
reviewers could leave comments as trac comments. CPython's present process
is a clear improvement, insofar as Rietveld allows inlining commenting, but
it is otherwise basically the same.

By contrast, the Github process does not require a patch author to leave
their workflow, they simply "git push" to update a patch. We now also have
CI for PRs, but that's a recent addition.

It's not magic, it's a good UX :-)

Alex