[Python-Dev] Backporting ensurepip to 2.7, Which commands to install?

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Sat Oct 4 00:06:01 CEST 2014

I'm working on the backport of ensurepip to Python 2.7, and I realized that
I'm not sure which commands to install. Right now by default pip (outside of
the context of ensurepip) will install pip, pip2, and pip2.7 if installed in
Python 2.7. In Python 3's ensurepip we modified it so that it would install
pip3, and pip3.4, but *not* pip if it was an "install", and only pip3.4 if it
was an "alt install".

My question is, does this behavior make sense for ensurepip in 2.7? Or should
it also install the "pip" command if it is an "install"?

---
Donald Stufft