[Python-Dev] bytes-like objects

Greg Ewing greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz
Sun Oct 5 23:24:35 CEST 2014

anatoly techtonik wrote:
> That's a cool stuff. `bytes-like object` is really a much better name for users.

I'm not so sure. Usually when we talk about an "xxx-like object" we
mean one that supports a certain Python interface, e.g. a "file-like
object" is one that has read() and/or write() methods. But you can't
create an object that supports the buffer protocol by implementing
Python methods.

I'm worried that using the term "bytes-like object" will lead
people to ask "What methods do I have to implement to make my
object bytes-like?", to which the answer is "mu".

--
Greg