[Python-Dev] Interactive Grid for Sorting, Filtering DataFrames in IPython Notebook

tshawver tshawver at quantopian.com
Tue Oct 7 17:41:12 CEST 2014

As part of the work on our research environment at  Quantopian
<https://www.quantopian.com/research>  , I've been building an extension
which renders pandas DataFrames as interactive grids in the IPython
notebook.  The extension uses a Javascript library called SlickGrid to
render the grids, and the current state of the project can be found here on
GitHub: https://github.com/quantopian/qgrid

The extension is also viewable in nbviewer:
http://nbviewer.ipython.org/github/quantopian/qgrid/blob/master/qgrid_demo.ipynb

The GitHub repository contains some explanation of why I chose to implement
the grid as a Python package rather than a standard IPython notebook
extension, which might be interesting for other people who are looking to
add functionality to the notebook in a similar way.

-Tim