[Python-Dev] Status of C compilers for Python on Windows

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Sat Oct 11 01:39:10 CEST 2014

> On Oct 10, 2014, at 6:59 PM, Steve Dower <Steve.Dower at microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> Cross compilation is a valid issue, but I hope that build services like Appveyor also help out here. There is regular talk about the PSF/PyPI providing something similar, though I have doubts about its feasibility under any model other than renting a preconfigured VM. I don't see any reason why projects couldn't apply to the PSF for a grant to cover Appveyor costs or the expenses of similar services.

I know very little about Windows, but we can spin up arbitrary Windows boxes, build something on them, and then shut them down as long as there’s some way to automate logging into a Windows box and running some commands… Normally I’d do this with SSH but I don’t know if Windows has anything like that.

IOW we can totally spin up preconfigured VMs for a Windows build service.

---
Donald Stufft