[Python-Dev] Status of C compilers for Python on Windows

Sturla Molden sturla.molden at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 15:59:52 CEST 2014

Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> But you can compile OpenBLAS with one compiler and then link it to
> Python using another compiler, right? There is a single C ABI.

BLAS and LAPACK are actually Fortran, which does not have a single C ABI.
The ABI depends on the Fortran compiler. g77 and gfortran will produce
different C ABIs. This is a consistent source of PITA  in any scientific
programming that combines C and Fortran.

There is cblas though, which is a C API, but it does not include LAPACK.

Another thing is that libraries are different. MSVC wants a .lib file, but
MinGW produces .a files like GCC does on Linux. Perhaps you can generate a
.lib file from a .a file, but I have never tried.

Sturla