[Python-Dev] Backporting ensurepip to 2.7, Which commands to install?

Pekka Klärck peke at iki.fi
Wed Oct 22 12:15:14 CEST 2014

[Replying to a mail that was sent before I joined this list. Quoting,
headers, etc. aren't exactly right.]

Nick Coghlan wrote:
>On 4 October 2014 10:51, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
>> Whoops, I misred.
>>
>> So to be clear, you think:
>>
>> install -> pip, pip2, pip2.7
>> altinstall -> pip2.7
>
> To spell out the assumption I didn't make clear when helping with the
> backport PEP, the difference comes from PEP 394, which specifies the
> following behaviour when installing Python itself:
>
> Python 2.7: python, python2, python2.7
> Python 3.4: python3, python3.4
>
> That maps to ensurepip as:
>
> Python 2.7: pip, pip2, pip2.7
> Python 3.4: pip3, pip3.4

I just installed Python 3.4.2 on Windows and noticed that its Scripts
directory has these files out-of-the-box:

easy_install.exe
easy_install-3.4.exe.
pip.exe
pip3.exe
pip3.4.exe

Based on Nick's explanation above, having pip.exe there looks like bug
in the installer and could easily cause a conflict with other pip
installations. I don't understand why easy_install is included there
in the first place, but easy_install.exe can obviously cause a similar
conflict.

Cheers,
    .peke
--