[Python-Dev] Status of C compilers for Python on Windows

Steve Dower Steve.Dower at microsoft.com
Sat Oct 25 19:13:20 CEST 2014

(Apologies for the short reply, posting from my phone.)

"MSVC can continue
to be the default compiler used for Python on Windows, none of Roumen's
patches change that. They would merely open up the choice for packagers and
users to build CPython (and extension modules, thanks to separate patches)
with alternate compilers, in cross-compilation or otherwise."

Building CPython for Windows is not something that needs solving. The culture on Windows is to redistribute binaries, not source, and both the core team and a number of redistributors have this figured out (and it will only become easier with VC14 and Python 3.5).

I'd rather see this effort thrown behind compiling extensions, including cross compilation. The ABI is well defined enough that any compiler should be usable, especially once the new CRT is in use. However, there is work needed to update the various tool chains to link to VC14's CRT and we need to figure out the inconsistencies between tools so we can document and work through them.

Having different builds of CPython out there will only fragment the community and hurt extension authors far more than it may seem to help.

Cheers,
Steve

Top-posted from my Windows Phone