[Python-Dev] XP buildbot problem cloning from hg.python.org

Ned Deily nad at acm.org
Sun Oct 26 00:14:03 CEST 2014

In article <m28uk4wxod.fsf at valheru.db3l.homeip.net>,
 David Bolen <db3l.net at gmail.com> wrote:

> David Bolen <db3l.net at gmail.com> writes:
> > which appears to die mid-stream while receiving the manifests.
> >
> > So I'm sort of hoping there might be some record server-side as to why
> > things are falling apart mid-way.
> Just to follow-up to myself, I get the same same error trying to do a
> clone from my own personal XP machine rather than the buildbot (which
> is a VM).  I've had the issue with hg 1.6.2, 2.5.2 and 3.1.2.
> However, the same clones completely successfully under OSX and Linux.
> So that's sort of strange.

Very interesting!  I had been doing some housekeeping on some of my 
older OS X build systems over the past few days and I've run into the 
same problem.  In particular, I am seeing this failure on an OS X 10.5.8 
system (running in a Fusion VM) which I've used for years and from which 
I have regularly cloned repos from hg.python.org.  I spent some time 
yesterday trying to isolate it.  I came to the conclusion that it was 
independent of the version of OpenSSL (identical failures occurred with 
the system's ancient Apple 0.9.7 as well as a newly-build 1.0.1j) and 
independent of the version of hg (at least with two data points, current 
and a year-old version) and seemingly independent of the network 
connection.  I was not able to reproduce the failure on the host OS X 
system (10.10) and I didn't have problems a few days earlier with 
various other OS X releases (10.6.x through 10.9.x) also running in VMs 
on the same host.  I stumbled across a workaround for the problem as I 
was experiencing it:  adding --uncompressed to hg clone eliminated 
failures.  You can get more info on the hg failures by adding 
--traceback and --debugger to the clone command.  After spending way too 
much time on the issue, I was not in the mood to spend more time 
isolating the problem after finding a workaround but if others are also 
seeing it, it might be worth doing.  Sigh.

      $ hg --version
      Mercurial Distributed SCM (version 3.1.2)
      $ hg clone -U http://hg.python.org/cpython cpython
      real URL is https://hg.python.org/cpython
      requesting all changes
      adding changesets
      adding manifests
      transaction abort!
      rollback completed
      abort: connection ended unexpectedly
      $ hg clone --uncompressed -U https://hg.python.org/cpython cpython
      streaming all changes
      10404 files to transfer, 248 MB of data
      transferred 248 MB in 44.4 seconds (5.58 MB/sec)

 Ned Deily,
 nad at acm.org

More information about the Python-Dev mailing list