[Python-Dev] Status of C compilers for Python on Windows

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Wed Oct 29 16:31:17 CET 2014

On 29 Oct 2014 14:47, "Antoine Pitrou" <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:

> On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 10:31:50 -0400
> "R. David Murray" <rdmurray at bitdance.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 10:22:14 -0400, Tres Seaver <tseaver at palladion.com>
wrote:

> > > I assume you mean python-dev folks who work on Windows:  it is
certainly
> > > not true for the vast majority of develoeprs who use Python on
Windows,
> > > who don't have the toolchain build their own C extensions.
> >
> > I'm pretty sure he meant "most people who develop software for Windows",
> > even though that's not how he phrased it.  But this does not include, as
> > you point out, people who develop Python software that *also* works on
> > Windows.
> >
> > If you are writing code targeted for Windows, I think you are very
> > likely to have an MSDN subscription of some sort if your package
includes C
> > code.  I'm sure it's not 100%, though.
>
> You can use Express editions of Visual Studio.

IIUC, the express edition compilers are 32-bit only, and what you actually
want are the "SDK compilers":
https://github.com/cython/cython/wiki/64BitCythonExtensionsOnWindows

These are freely downloadable by anyone, no msdn subscription required, but
only if you know where to find them!

AFAICT the main obstacle to using MSVC to build python extensions (assuming
it can handle your code at all) is not anything technical, but rather that
there's no clear and correct tutorial on how to do it, and lots of
confusion and misinformation circulating.

-n