[Python-Dev] Status of C compilers for Python on Windows

Ethan Furman ethan at stoneleaf.us
Wed Oct 29 23:19:29 CET 2014

On 10/29/2014 03:09 PM, Paul Moore wrote:
> On 29 October 2014 20:26, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
>> This sounds like something good for packaging.python.org
>
> Yeah, I wondered about that. I'll work up a patch for that. But the
> more I think about it, it really is trivial:

I am reminded of an interview question I was once asked which was prefaced with: "Here's an easy one..."

My reply was, if you know the answer, it's easy!

> - For non-free MSVC, install the appropriate version, and everything just works.
> - For Python 2.7 (32 or 64 bit), install the compiler for Python 2.7
> package and everything just works as long as you're using setuptools.
> - For 32 bit Python 3.2-3.4, install Visual Studio Express and
> everything just works.
> - For 64 bit Python 3.2-3.4, install the SDK, set some environment
> variables, and everything just works.
> - For Python 3.5+, install the current Visual Studion Express and
> everything just works.

I would suggest
   - where to get these packages
   - where to get any dependencies
   - any options to [not] specify during install
   - what environment variables to what value
   - where one should be at when one starts the compile process

and, of course, a gotchas section for uncommon but frustrating things that might go wrong.

And thanks for doing this!

--
~Ethan~