[Python-Dev] PEP 476: Enabling certificate validation by default!

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Sep 1 23:31:44 CEST 2014

On 2 Sep 2014 03:08, "Donald Stufft" <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

>> On Sep 1, 2014, at 1:01 PM, Christian Heimes <christian at python.org>
wrote:

>> On 01.09.2014 17:35, Nick Coghlan wrote:
>>>
>>> Oh, now I get what you mean - yes, sitecustomize already poses the same
>>> kind of problem as the proposed sslcustomize (hence the existence of the
>>> related command line options).
>>

>> If an attacker is able to place a module like sitecustomize.py in an
>> import directory or any .pth file in a site-packages directory than this
>> Python installation is compromised. .pth files are insidious because
>> they are always loaded and their code is always executed. I don't see
>> how sslcustomize is going to make a difference here.
>>

> Right, this is the point I was trying to make. If you’ve installed a
malicious
> package it’s game over. There’s nothing Python can do to help you.

Yes, that's what I said originally when pointing out that isolated mode and
the switch to disable site module processing would need to disable
sslcustomize processing as well.

Antoine was replying to a side comment about it being tricky to shadow
stdlib modules. I left out the qualifier "directly" in my original comment,
and he left out "indirectly through sitecustomize" in his initial reply, so
we were talking past each for a while.

Cheers,
Nick.