[Python-Dev] RFC: PEP 475, Retry system calls failing with EINTR

Matthew Woodcraft matthew at woodcraft.me.uk
Tue Sep 2 23:02:15 CEST 2014

Nick Coghlan  <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>On 2 September 2014 07:17, Matthew Woodcraft <matthew at woodcraft.me.uk> wrote:
>> (The program handles SIGTERM so that it can do a bit of cleanup before
>> exiting, and it uses the signal-handler-sets-a-flag technique. The call
>> that might be interrupted is sleep(), so the program doesn't strictly
>> _rely_ on the existing behaviour; it would just become very slow to
>> exit.)

> Making an exception for sleep() (i.e. still letting it throw EINTR)
> sounds like a reasonable idea to me.

I think people who use sleep() in their programs could benefit from not
having to worry about EINTR as much as anyone else.

And I don't think there's any reason to suppose that programs using
sleep() are more likely than others to want to see EINTR. I think
blocking network operations are more likely to be involved.

-M-