[Python-Dev] Sad status of Python 3.x buildbots

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Wed Sep 3 00:13:22 CEST 2014

Hi,

I'm using Python buildbots to ensure that my changes don't fail on
some platform. It's important for changes close to the operation
system. The problem is that many buildbots are ill.

Before, only a few buildbots had sporadic failures. Now most buildbots
are always fail (are red).

Here is an incomplete list of failures seen on buildbots. Before I
opened an issue for each bug, but usually nobody takes care of them.
So today I'm trying the mailing list.

How can we fix all these issues to have more "green" buildbots? Can
anyone help on this task?

AMD64 OpenIndiana 3.x: a lot of tests fail with OSError(12, "Not
enough space") or MemoryError. It's probably on issue on the host.

AMD64 Snow Leop 3.x: many tests are not reliable (stable) on this
platform. For example, test_logging.test_race() sometimes fail with
PermissionError(1, "Operation not permitted:
'/tmp/test_logging-3-bjulw8iz.log'"). Another example,
test_asyncio.test_stdin_broken_pipe() sometimes fail with an assertion
error because BrokenPipeError was not raised. Do we still support this
old version of Mac OS X? Released in 2009, it is 5 years old. Is
upgrading to Maverick (10.9) free and possible on old Mac computers? I
don't have access to this old OS.

x86 RHEL 6 3.x: TestReadline.test_init() fails, issue #19884. I don't
have to this platform, I don't know how to fix it.

x86 Windows Server 2003 [SB] 3.x: test_build_ext() of test_distutils
hangs during 1 hang before being killed, it hangs something in the C
compiler.

x86 Windows7 3.x: test_nntplib fails with OSError("cannot read from
timed out object").

x86 XP-4 3.x: test_distutils fails because Visual Studio linker
(link.exe) fails with the error 1181 (cannot open input file).
test_capi.test_forced_io_encoding() fails with an assertion error
because sys.__stdin__ is None.

AMD64 Solaris 11 [SB] 3.x: sometimes, tests fail with MemoryError.
test_uuid.test_uuid4() fails with an assertion error. ctypes has issue
with the sign of integer numbers (bug in libffi?).

ARMv7 3.x: "Read-only file system", Mercurial fails...

x86 FreeBSD 7.2 3.x: test_io.test_interrupted_write_text() hangs.

x86 FreeBSD 6.4 3.x: test_urllib2net.test_urlwithfrag() fails with
urllib.error.URLError: <urlopen error unknown url type: https>.
test_tcl has many issues. test_multiprocessing_spawn fails whereas the
test should be skipped.

x86 OpenBSD 5.5 3.x: many failing tests.

x86 OpenIndiana 3.x: MemoryError. TestReadline.test_init() also fails.

x86 Tiger 3.x: test_nntplib fails with OSError("cannot read from timed
out object".

I skipped "SPARC Solaris 10 OpenCSW 3.x" and "PPC64 AIX 3.x" in my
list, I'm not really interested by these platforms.

Victor