[Python-Dev] cpython (3.4): Issue #22295: Adopt 'python -m pip' as the preferred invocation

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Sat Sep 6 14:37:11 CEST 2014

On Sat, Sep 6, 2014 at 7:27 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> Why not advocate --user instead? It is simpler than messing around with virtual
> environments and will suffice for most use cases.

I agree, however, --user needs to be more fully integrated into pip's
behavior. For example, if I execute

pip install --user SomePackage

today, when SomePackage is installed someplace outside ~/.local, pip
complains that SomePackage is already installed. If I then execute

pip install --user --upgrade SomePackage

it tries to remove the outdated more global version of SomePackage.

Skip