[Python-Dev] Proposed schedule for 3.4.2

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 00:43:51 CEST 2014

On 9 Sep 2014 08:30, "Donald Stufft" <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

> If someone wants to do this, can’t they write their own 6 line function?

Unfortunately not, as the domain knowledge required to know what those six
lines should look like is significant.

Keeping the old unsafe behaviour around with a more obviously dangerous
name is much simpler than explaining to people "Here, copy this chunk of
code you don't understand".

If we were starting with a blank slate there's no way we'd offer such a
thing, but as Jim pointed out, we do want to make it relatively easy for
Standard Operating Environment maintainers to hack around it if necessary.

Cheers,
Nick.