[Python-Dev] Proposed schedule for 3.4.2

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Sep 9 05:32:24 CEST 2014

Replacing urllib.urlopen(url) with
urllib._unsafe_urlopen_without_secure_https(url) would be fine too (actual
name to be picked by whoever writes the code) but I don't see that it
offers much more of a barrier against abuse of this compatibility feature
compared to a keyword argument.

Requiring a monkeypatch feels unnecessarily mean -- I see no reason why the
code can't be in the standard library. It's a bit like the emergency hammer
on a train -- what keeps riders from misusing it is convention (and the
sign next to it), since locking it up would miss the point.

Do note that there are a couple of different common patterns for how this
is used in legacy code, e.g. urllib vs.urllib2, URLOpener vs
FancyURLOpener, urlopen vs. urlretrieve; there are also some internal
calls, e.g. in response to redirects. The ultimate form of the solution
(keyword argument of alternate function or whatever) may depend on the
needs of these various (ancient) architectures.

Regarding 3.4 and 3.5, there's presumably much less legacy code for 3.4,
but its expected lifetime is also much shorter than 2.7's (since we're
already close to releasing 3.5). So I'm still a bit torn -- in the end one
reason to do it in 3.4 is that 3.4 shouldn't have a weaker default than 2.7.

Onwards,

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)