[Python-Dev] PEP 394 - Clarification of what "python" command should invoke

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 00:44:39 CEST 2014

On 20 September 2014 00:23, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

> On Sep 19, 2014, at 10:16 AM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
>
> If the user wants to invoke Python 3, it's not hard to type 'python3' and I
> think that's the message we should be spreading.  That already seems pretty
> ingrained in user habits afaict.
>

> My biggest problem with ``python3``, is what happens after 3.9. I know Guido
> doesn’t particularly like two digit version numbers and it’s been suggested
> on
> this list that instead of 3.10 we’re likely to move directly into 4.0
> regardless of
> if it’s a “big” change or not.

FWIW, I think we actually do this better on Windows these days, where
PEP 397 made "py" a switchable entry point. I'd like to bring the same
scheme to POSIX systems at some point, but that's a *long* way down
the todo list (like, so far down I can't even see it any more). I'd be
willing to review proposals, though :)

Cheers,
Nick.