[Python-Dev] PEP476: Enabling certificate validation by default

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Sat Sep 20 01:13:30 CEST 2014

+1 on Nick's suggestion. (Might also mention that this is the reason why
both functions should exist and have compatible signatures.)

Also please, please, please add explicit mention of Python 2.7, 3.4 and 3.5
in the Abstract (for example in the 3rd paragraph of the abstract).

On Fri, Sep 19, 2014 at 3:52 PM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 20 September 2014 08:34, Alex Gaynor <alex.gaynor at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Pushed a new version which I believe adresses all of these. I added an
> > example of opting-out with urllib.urlopen, let me know if there's any
> other
> > APIs you think I should show an example with.
>
> It would be worth explicitly stating the process global monkeypatching
> hack:
>
>     import ssl
>     ssl._create_default_https_context = ssl._create_unverified_context
>
> Adding that hack to sitecustomize allows corporate sysadmins that can
> update their standard operating environment more easily than they can
> fix invalid certificate infrastructure to work around the problem on
> behalf of their users. It also helps out users that will be able to
> deal with such broken infrastructure without updating each and every
> one of their scripts.
>
> It's deliberately ugly because it's a genuinely bad idea that folks
> should want to avoid using, but as a matter of practical reality,
> corporate IT departments are chronically understaffed, and often fully
> committed to fighting the crisis du jour, without sufficient time
> being available for regular infrastructure maintenance tasks.
>
> Regards,
> Nick.
>
> --

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)