[Python-Dev] 3.5 release schedule PEP

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 12:04:56 CEST 2014

On 23 September 2014 19:46, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Under consideration (in addition to the items already listed in the PEP):
>
>     PEP 432 (simplifying the startup sequence)
>     PEP 475 (retry system calls failing with EINTR)
>     Improved Windows console Unicode support (see
> https://pypi.python.org/pypi/win_unicode_console for details)
>     Changing the encoding and error handling of an existing stream
> (http://bugs.python.org/issue15216)

A few more specific Unicode related proposals that may be worth
mentioning in the release PEP (aside from the binary data formatting
mini-language one, they're generally not PEP worthy in their own
right, but they do relate directly to addressing some of the remaining
concerns with binary data handling in Python 3, which is a fairly high
profile topic):

Allowing "backslashreplace" to be used on input:
http://bugs.python.org/issue22286
Adding "codecs.convert_surrogateescape": http://bugs.python.org/issue18814
Adding "wsgiref.util.dump_wsgistr" and "wsgiref.util.load_wsgistr":
http://bugs.python.org/issue22264
Adding "bytes.hex", "bytearray.hex" and "memoryview.hex":
http://bugs.python.org/issue9951
Adding a binary data formatting mini-language (depends on 9951):
http://bugs.python.org/issue22385

There's also your own PEP 457 to formalise the syntax used to
communicate signature information from Argument Clinic to the inspect
module as a string - I don't know if you were planning to revisit that
for 3.5 and potentially make creating inspect.Signature objects from
such strings a public API.

Regards,
Nick.