[Python-Dev] 3.5 release schedule PEP

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 09:12:35 CEST 2014

On 24 Sep 2014 15:15, "Tim Golden" <mail at timgolden.me.uk> wrote:

> On 23/09/2014 18:05, Steve Dower wrote:
>>
>> I'm also considering/experimenting with installing into "Program
>> Files" by default, but I suspect that isn't going to work out yet.
>

> I'd like to see that go forward: I think it's increasingly difficult to
justify Python's position at c:\pythonxx. But it does run the risk of
> breaking All The Things. When it was discussed, people spoke about
> symlinks (or hardlinks / junctions / whatever) in the appropriate
> places to support hardcoded paths, but I don't know how feasible
> that will turn out to be.

It might be better to offer that as a supported option in 3.5, and then
make it the default in 3.6.

That will offer a couple of years to work out the issues, rather than a few
months.

>> I'd like to move the Windows versions onto the next release of VC
>> (currently "VC 14" until the branding team figures out what to call
>> it). There isn't a promised RTM date for VC 14 yet, so it looks like
>> the best available compiler by Beta 1 will be a "Go Live" RC. (The
>> "Go Live" marking basically means "we think this is ready for use,
>> but expect a round of minor updates/fixes soon - the compiler is
>> least likely to be updated, my guess is that it'll be Visual Studio
>> UI mostly).
>

> My only real misgiving here is that, for a few years, we'll need *three*
versions installed to build the active branches: 2008 for 2.7; 2010 for
3.4; and 2014 for 3.5. Am I wrong?

3.4 will go into security fix only mode a few months after 3.5 is released,
as happened with 3.3.

It does suggest that we shouldn't switch the compiler until:
1. At least a beta of VC 2014 is generally available
2. We're a few weeks out from 3.5 beta 1 (with VC 2014 as an option until
then)

Cheers,
Nick.

https://mail.python.org/mailman/options/python-dev/ncoghlan%40gmail.com