[Python-Dev] 3.5 release schedule PEP

Mike Miller python-dev at mgmiller.net
Wed Sep 24 23:30:27 CEST 2014

On 09/25/2014 08:50 AM, Steve Dower wrote:
> Unfortunately not. The "easy way" is for the executable to declare that it needs administrative privileges, and then the OS will take over and let you approve/reject/sign-in/etc. according to your settings.

There is the runas command, though it could be easier to use.  There is also a
third-part "sudo" clone.

> I don't believe this is the right solution anyway, as very many Windows users won't be able to do this (particularly in IT managed environments). Having 'pip install' do a per-user install automatically is something that will actually work, at the cost/benefit of not affecting other users.

Shoul mention this won't take any choices away from users, such as IT managed
environs, they could still install wherever they need to.

I understand pip is not actually bundled with Python, just an installer script.
  That means it is decoupled from changes in the Python installer.  Pypa can
have pip default to, or fall back to --user later if it decides it is a good idea.

-Mike