[Python-Dev] 3.5 release schedule PEP

Larry Hastings larry at hastings.org
Thu Sep 25 06:11:41 CEST 2014

On 09/23/2014 06:48 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> On 24 September 2014 03:05, Steve Dower <Steve.Dower at microsoft.com> wrote:
>> I'd like to move the Windows versions onto the next release of VC (currently "VC 14" until the branding team figures out what to call it). There isn't a promised RTM date for VC 14 yet, so it looks like the best available compiler by Beta 1 will be a "Go Live" RC. (The "Go Live" marking basically means "we think this is ready for use, but expect a round of minor updates/fixes soon - the compiler is least likely to be updated, my guess is that it'll be Visual Studio UI mostly).
> It's ultimately up to Larry as RM, but I'd personally favour targeting
> the newer compiler and runtime, even with the slight risk of
> potentially needing to slip our schedule. There's also a fair amount
> of wiggle room between the first beta and the first release candidate.

First, let me say that I'm absolutely willing to listen to the choir of
expert modern Windows developers.  I haven't done much of anything with
Windows since 2007, and I don't claim to be current. So if I'm being
wrong-headed on this, you're invited to educate me.

Also, having a retooled CRTL with forwards-compatible interfaces indeed
sounds awesome, and is a worthy goal.

With all that said: I'm comfortable shipping everything up to RCs on a
beta compiler.  But once we hit RC1, I assert we *must* be using a
released product.  Release Candidates are supposed to be viable,
releasable software, and surely we wouldn't ship 3.5.0 on a beta compiler.

Therefore: if VC14 doesn't ship by 3.5 RC1, currently set at August 5,
2015, I decree we have to ship 3.5 with the previous version.

Reasonable?

//arry/