[Python-Dev] 3.5 release schedule PEP

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Thu Sep 25 18:00:33 CEST 2014

> On Sep 25, 2014, at 11:54 AM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 25 September 2014 16:43, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
>> Basically people have Python in a ton of different configurations and it’s
>> hard to figure out if —user will work out of the box in all of them or not.
>
> I guess that "Using the python.org Python installer on Windows" is a
> limited enough subset that we probably could check that --user worked
> in that situation.
>
> The problem is, how do we implement it? A special case so that pip
> defaults to --user sometimes, but not others? (I'm strongly against
> that) Leave the default as not --user and document that Windows users
> with Python in "Program Files" should always specify --user? (I'm
> against that because it makes the documentation highly confusing, and
> we've just done a lot of work to simplify it).
>
> Basically, I'd like to hold off moving to "Program Files" as a default
> until *after* we have enough confidence in user installs that we are
> willing to switch pip to --user as the default behaviour everywhere.
> And yes, I'm aware that the first "we" in that was "python-dev" and
> the second was "PyPA". And that expecting python-dev to wait for PyPA
> to approve the change may well be unacceptable.
>
> Paul

My thoughts on the pip side has basically always been that pip should
either:

1) Just always default to —user and add a —system or similar flag, this
    is super easy to change but is a backwards incompatible change and
    would need to go through a deprecation window.
2) Switch to —user based on if the user has permission to write to the
    site-packages or not.

---
Donald Stufft