[Python-Dev] Microsoft Visual C++ Compiler for Python 2.7

Ryan Gonzalez rymg19 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 21:01:40 CEST 2014

At long last! Building C extensions on Windows will no longer be a pain in
the rear!

On Fri, Sep 26, 2014 at 1:01 PM, Steve Dower <Steve.Dower at microsoft.com>
wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> (This is advance notice since people on this list will be interested.
> Official announcements are coming when setuptools makes their next release.)
>
> Microsoft has released a compiler package targeting Python 2.7 (i.e. VC9).
> We've produced this package to help library developers build wheels for
> Windows, but also to help users unblock themselves when they need to build
> C extensions themselves.
>
> The Microsoft Visual C++ Compiler for Python 2.7 is available from:
> http://aka.ms/vcpython27
>
> This package contains all the tools and headers required to build C
> extension modules for Python 2.7 32-bit and 64-bit (note that some
> extension modules require 3rd party dependencies such as OpenSSL or libxml2
> that are not included). Other versions of Python built with Visual C++ 2008
> are also supported.
>
> You can install the package without requiring administrative privileges
> and, with the latest version of setuptools (when it releases), use tools
> such as pip, wheel, or a setup.py file to produce binaries on Windows.
>
> Unfortunately, this package isn't necessarily going to help with building
> CPython 2.7 itself, as the build process is complicated and Visual Studio
> 2008 is practically required. However, as most people aren't building
> CPython on Windows, this isn't a huge issue. This compiler package should
> be sufficient for most extension modules.
>
> I should also point out that VC9 is no longer supported by Microsoft. This
> means there won't be any improvements or bug fixes coming, and there's no
> official support offered. Feel free to contact me directly <
> steve.dower at microsoft.com> if there are issues with the package.
>
> Cheers,
> Steve

Ryan
If anybody ever asks me why I prefer C++ to C, my answer will be simple:
"It's becauseslejfp23(@#Q*(E*EIdc-SEGFAULT. Wait, I don't think that was
nul-terminated."
Personal reality distortion fields are immune to contradictory evidence. -
srean
Check out my website: http://kirbyfan64.github.io/