[Python-Dev] Microsoft Visual C++ Compiler for Python 2.7

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Sep 27 15:01:43 CEST 2014

On 27 September 2014 22:12, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Sep 2014 18:01:31 +0000
> Steve Dower <Steve.Dower at microsoft.com> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> (This is advance notice since people on this list will be interested. Official announcements are coming when setuptools makes their next release.)
>
> When you mention "setuptools", do you imply it doesn't work with plain
> distutils?

I'd expect it to have the same problem the SDK compilers currently do:
as far as I am aware, distutils simply doesn't recognise them as
available compilers.

I personally believe we should treat handling both this and the SDK
compilers properly as a platform-enablement bug for distutils and
ensure they work properly with the currently maintained branches
(including 2.7).

David Cournapeau offered (on distutils-sig) to tackle that for at
least the SDK compilers (the thread was before Steve's announcement of
the more readily available VC9 compiler download).

Cheers,
Nick.

P.S. Note that pip always runs setup.py via setuptools, so updating
setuptools also deals with the general "pip install" case of building
from source.