[Python-Dev] Microsoft Visual C++ Compiler for Python 2.7

Steve Dower Steve.Dower at microsoft.com
Mon Sep 29 18:05:18 CEST 2014

Paul Moore wrote:
> File "C:\Apps\Python27\Lib\distutils\msvc9compiler.py", line 299, in
> query_vcvarsall
>
> raise ValueError(str(list(result.keys())))
>
> ValueError: [u'path', u'include', u'lib']

> Failed building wheel for blist
> Failed to build blist
> Cleaning up...
>

> PS 15:36 [00:02] C:\Work\Projects\buildwheel
> >.\ve-2.7\Scripts\pip.exe list
> pip (1.5.6)
> setuptools (6.0.1)
> wheel (0.24.0)
>
> This looks suspiciously like http://bugs.python.org/issue7511, which is
> worrying. Is this not something I should have expected setuptools to have
> patched?

Always embarrassing to have to admit this, but there is a bug in my code... :(

distutils validates that four environment variables are set after the vcvarsall.bat script - PATH, INCLUDE, LIB and LIBPATH. I neglected to set LIBPATH for 64-bit targets (LIBPATH is used by the compiler when compiling with /clr, which probably no Python extension has done ever).

If you have a dirty machine like mine, then it's probably already set globally, which can really mess up your testing.

I'm putting up an updated installer for the compilers that will set this variable, so if you haven't grabbed a copy yet hold off for the next 12 hours or so. Otherwise, you can set your LIBPATH variable to any valid path (or maybe just any value - the compiler may not even look if /clr is not passed).

Sorry,
Steve