[Python-Dev] [python-committers] Do we need to sign Windows files with GnuPG?

Robert Collins robertc at robertcollins.net
Sun Apr 5 06:59:13 CEST 2015

On 4 April 2015 at 11:14, Steve Dower <Steve.Dower at microsoft.com> wrote:
> The thing is, that's exactly the same goodness as Authenticode gives, except
> everyone gets that for free and meanwhile you're the only one who has
> admitted to using GPG on Windows :)
>
> Basically, what I want to hear is that GPG sigs provide significantly better
> protection than hashes (and I can provide better than MD5 for all files if
> it's useful), taking into consideration that (I assume) I'd have to obtain a
> signing key for GPG and unless there's a CA involved like there is for
> Authenticode, there's no existing trust in that key.

GPG sigs will provide protection against replay attacks [unless we're
proposing to revoke signatures on old point releases with known
security vulnerabilities - something that Window software vendors tend
not to do because of the dramatic and immediate effect on the deployed
base...]

This is not relevant for things we're hosting on SSL, but is if anyone
is mirroring our installers around. They dont' seem to be so perhaps
its a bit 'meh'.

OTOH I also think there is value in consistency: signing all our
artifacts makes checking back on them later easier, should we need to.

One question, if you will - I don't think this was asked so far - is
authenticode verifiable from Linux, without Windows? And does it work
for users of WINE ?

-Rob

--
Robert Collins <rbtcollins at hp.com>