[Python-Dev] PEP 8 update

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Apr 7 03:08:25 CEST 2015

I've taken the liberty of adding the following old but good rule to PEP 8
(I was surprised to find it wasn't already there since I've lived by this
for ages):

   -

   Be consistent in return statements. Either all return statements in a
   function should return an expression, or none of them should. If any return
   statement returns an expression, any return statements where no value is
   returned should explicitly state this as return None, and an explicit
   return statement should be present at the end of the function (if
   reachable).

   Yes:

   def foo(x):
       if x >= 0: