[Python-Dev] Keyword-only parameters

Eric V. Smith eric at trueblade.com
Tue Apr 14 19:40:40 CEST 2015

I'm working on adding a numeric_owner parameter to some tarfile methods
(http://bugs.python.org/issue23193),

In a review, Berker suggested making the parameter keyword-only. I agree
that you'd likely never want to pass just "True", but that
"numeric_owner=True" would be a better usage.

But, I don't see a lot of keyword-only parameters being added to stdlib
code. Is there some position we've taken on this? Barring someone saying
"stdlib APIs shouldn't contain keyword-only params", I'm inclined to
make numeric_owner keyword-only.

Is there anything stopping me from making it keyword-only?

Thanks.
Eric.