[Python-Dev] Type hints -- a mediocre programmer's reaction

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon Apr 20 21:09:00 CEST 2015

On 20 April 2015 at 19:41, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
>>tldr; type hints in python source are scary. Would reserving them for stub
>>files be better?
>
> I think so.  I think PEP 8 should require stub files for stdlib modules and
> strongly encourage them for 3rd party code.

Agreed. I have many of the same concerns as Harry, but I wouldn't have
expressed them quite as well. I'm not too worried about actually
removing annotations from the core language, but I agree that we
should create a strong culture of "type hints go in stub files" to
keep source files readable and clean.

On that note, I'm not sure "stub" files is a particularly good name.
Maybe "type files" would be better? Something that emphasises that
they are the correct place to put type hints, not a workaround.

Paul