[Python-Dev] Type hints -- a mediocre programmer's reaction

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Tue Apr 21 09:49:58 CEST 2015

On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 20:43:38 -0400
"R. David Murray" <rdmurray at bitdance.com> wrote:
> +1 to this from me too. I'm afraid that means I'm -1 on the PEP.
>
> I didn't write this in my earlier email because I wasn't sure about it,
> but my gut reaction after reading Harry's email was "if type annotations
> are used in the stdlib, I'll probably stop contributing".  That doesn't
> mean that's *true*, but that's the first time I've ever had that
> thought, so it is probably worth sharing.

I think it would be nice to know what the PEP means for daily stdlib
development. If patches have to carry typing information each time they
add/enhance an API that's an addition burden. If typing is done
separately by interested people then it sounds like it wouldn't have
much of an impact on everyone else's workflow.

Regards

Antoine.