[Python-Dev] Type hints -- a mediocre programmer's reaction

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Tue Apr 21 15:42:28 CEST 2015

On Tue, 21 Apr 2015 23:16:19 +1000
Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:

> I could keep going, but I hope I've made my point.

I don't think so. Just because other languages are looking at it
doesn't mean it will end up successful. It means it's an interesting
idea, that's all.

A litmus test for this PEP would be to apply it to a sizable code base
and evaluate the results. Looking at isolated function examples doesn't
tell us how it will scale (and I'm obviously not talking about
performance, but the ability to still give useful diagnostics in the
presence of typing "holes" - i.e. untyped functions - or imprecisions,
when factored in a complex graph of call dependencies).

> Whatever language you
> are using in 5-10 years time, it will almost certainly be either mostly
> static with some dynamic features like Java, or dynamic with optional
> and gradual typing.

Anybody can make predictions. As a data point, 6 years ago people were
predicting that the average desktop CPU would have 16 cores nowadays...
(we don't hear much from them anymore :-))

Regards

Antoine.