[Python-Dev] Type hints -- a mediocre programmer's reaction

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Tue Apr 21 19:59:33 CEST 2015

On Tue, 21 Apr 2015 10:10:06 -0700, Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 9:17 AM, R. David Murray <rdmurray at bitdance.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Please be respectful rather than inflammatory.  If you read what I
> > wrote, I did not say that I was going to stop contributing, I
> > specifically talked about that gut reaction being both emotional and
> > illogical.  That doesn't make the reaction any less real, and the fact
> > that such reactions exist is a data point you should consider in
> > conducting your PR campaign for this issue.  (I don't mean that last as
> > a negative:  this issue *requires* an honest PR campaign.)
> >

> Well, my own reactions at this point in the flame war are also quite
> emotional. :-(
>
> I have done my best in being honest in my PR campaign. But I feel like the

I believe you have.  My inclusion of the word 'honest' was meant to
contrast the kind of PR we need with the kind of PR people typically
think about, which is often not particularly honest.

> opposition (not you, but definitely some others -- have you seen Twitter?)
> are spreading FUD based on an irrational conviction that this will destroy

No, I tend only to peek in there occasionally.

> Python. It will not. It may not prove the solution to all Python's problems
> -- there's always 3.6. (Oh wait, Python 2.7 is perfect. I've heard that
> before -- Paul Everitt famously said the same of Python 1.5.2. Aren't you
> glad I didn't take him literally? :-P )

Yes.  But somewhere there or not long before was my introduction to
Python, so I remember it fondly :)

--David