[Python-Dev] Type hints -- a mediocre programmer's reaction

Paul Sokolovsky pmiscml at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 20:58:20 CEST 2015

Hello,

On Tue, 21 Apr 2015 12:17:01 -0400
"R. David Murray" <rdmurray at bitdance.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 21 Apr 2015 18:27:50 +0300, Paul Sokolovsky
> <pmiscml at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I was replying to Steven's message. Did you read it?
> >
> > Yes. And I try to follow general course of discussion, as its hard
> > to follow individual sub-threads. And for example yesterday's big
> > theme was people blackmailing that they stop contributing to stdlib
> > if annotations are in, and today's theme appear to be people
> > telling that static type checking won't be useful. And just your
> > reply to Steven was a final straw which prompted me to point out
> > that static type checking is not a crux of it, but just one (not
> > the biggest IMHO) usage.
>
> Please be respectful rather than inflammatory.  If you read what I
> wrote, I did not say that I was going to stop contributing, I
> specifically talked about that gut reaction being both emotional and
> illogical.

Sure, and I didn't mean you personally - your original message conveyed
that it was "gut feeling" very well. More like following to your
message, where people gave "+1". To a gut feeling? To the thought
of stopping contribution? I dunno, and that "blackmail" note wasn't
intended to be more serious than "burn the witch" and other funny
stylistic devices which already appeared and make the discussion a bit
more lively ;-).

> That doesn't make the reaction any less real, and the fact
> that such reactions exist is a data point you should consider in
> conducting your PR campaign for this issue.  (I don't mean that last
> as a negative:  this issue *requires* an honest PR campaign.)

It does, and hope people won't be caught in "static typechecking"
loop and consider other usages too.

--
Best regards,
 Paul                          mailto:pmiscml at gmail.com