[Python-Dev] [python-committers] [RELEASED] Python 3.5.0a4 is now available

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Wed Apr 22 14:45:31 CEST 2015

On 21 April 2015 at 23:05, Steve Dower <Steve.Dower at microsoft.com> wrote:
> I made it a self-extracting RAR file so it could be signed, but I've already had multiple people query it so the next release will probably just be a plain ZIP file. I just need to figure out some reliable way of validating the download other than GPG, since I'd like installers to be able to do the download transparently and ideally without hard-coding hash values. I might add a CSV of SHA hashes to the zip too.

You could probably just leave it as is (or make it a self-extracting
zip file) and just describe it on the web page as "Windows amd64
embeddable self-extracting archive". People are (I think) pretty used
to the idea that they can open a self-extracting archive in tools like
7-zip, so those who didn't want to run the exe could do that (and
would know they could). Obviously extracting that way you don't get
the signature check, but that's to be expected.

Paul